As Shore Medical Center grows and adapts to the ever-changing healthcare environment, we remain constant in our commitment to quality and safety, our investment in our clinical capabilities, and our alignment with world class institutions and practitioners. As we approach the end of another successful year at Shore Medical Center, I'd like to share with you many of the exciting recent advancements we've made.
We Invested in our Clinical Capabilities in the Following Areas:
- Comprehensive Cancer Center, which celebrated its 10th anniversary this year
- Pediatric Care Center, which provides child-friendly emergency care and neonatologists on site 24/7
- Surgical Pavilion, home to nine surgical suites and services including cardiovascular imaging, endoscopy and infusion therapy
- Maternal Child Health, Perinatology and Neonatology
- Implemented Ultra Low Dose Cat Scans throughout the system to reduce radiation exposure
- Critical care intensivists backed by 24/7 remote monitoring of our most vulnerable patients by Advanced ICU
- Healthcare for veterans - Shore became the first in the state to support our Veterans through Tricare and Healthnet
- Computerized Provider Order Entry (CPOE) - Physicians are now using a computerized system to provide instructions for patient care, which improves safety, quality and efficiency
- Introduced a Laborist program in partnership with Reliance Medical Group, which ensures a physician is available for deliveries in our maternity department 24/7. The program has led to a dramatic increase in our number of births and reduced c-section rates.
We Received National Recognition in Quality and Safety
Shore Medical Center was recognized this year by both the Leapfrog Group, an independent industry watchdog organization, and the Joint Commission, the nation's oldest and largest standards-setting and accrediting healthcare body.
- Leapfrog Group - Shore Medical Center was the only hospital in Atlantic County to receive an "A" grade in the Leapfrog Group's Fall 2014 Hospital Safety Score, which rates how well hospitals protect patients from errors, injuries and infections.
- The Joint Commission - In April, we received a three-year accreditation from the Joint Commission, as well as Advanced Certification as a Primary Stroke Center and the Gold Seal of Approval® for Spine Surgery and our Hip and Knee Joint Replacement programs. This fall, we also were recognized by the Joint Commission as a 2013 Top Performer on Key Quality Measures®, including heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia and surgical care.
We Align with World Class Affiliates to Provide Exceptional Local Care
- University of Pennsylvania provides Shore with experts in Cardiology, Thoracic Surgery, and Perinatology
- Thomas Jefferson University Hospital - Shore is a member of the Jefferson Neuroscience Network, which gives patients with time-sensitive neurological disorders access to Jefferson specialists
- Onsite Neonatal Partners provide in-house neonatologists and pediatricians 24/7
- Advanced ICU provides 24/7 remote monitoring of critical care patients
- Cooper University Health Care - Shore Medical Center was one of three hospitals to join Amerihealth NJ's Community Advantage Plan that offers high quality affordable healthcare in a narrow network
- Mayo Clinic/Mayo Medical Laboratories - Mayo Medical Laboratories became Shore's primary reference laboratory for complex lab studies, providing access to genetic and molecular tests
- HOPE Community Cancer Center - Medical oncologists Dr. Childs, Dave, Ahmad and Rahman see patients at Shore Cancer Center
We Invested in our Community
At Shore, we know a healthy community leads to healthier people. We are proud to support the following community events and organizations:
- Gateway Playhouse
- Somers Point Beach Concerts
- Atlantic City Marathon
- Senior and Adult Expo at the Jewish Community Center (JCC)
- Somers Point Bayfest
- Somers Point Jazz Society
- Egg Harbor Township Community Partnership
- Somers Point Board of Education and Drug Awareness
Our Partnership with Physicians in the Community Continues to Grow Stronger
- Shore Physicians Group is a multi-disciplinary group practice that recruited physicians in primary care and other specialties needed by our community.
- Shore Quality Partners is a network of over 225 physicians representing all specialties and participating in creative payer contracts that align payers, physicians and hospitals to deliver the safest, most efficient, and highest quality care to our community.
- The Physician Leadership Council advised the health system on strategic, quality and patient centered care issues, including areas that are lacking in South Jersey and how Shore can best meet those needs in the future.
These are just a few of the many ways in which Shore Medical Center is raising the bar for healthcare excellence in South Jersey. We will continue to provide superior, patient centered care to our community in 2015 and beyond. On behalf of Shore Medical Center, I wish you a happy and healthy new year.
Ronald W. Johnson, MBA, FACHE
President & CEO