The Balance Center at Shore Medical Center uses a series of sophisticated and painless tests to diagnose for balance or dizziness disorders. The testing process takes slightly more than an hour and offers patients complete diagnostics and vestibular (balance) therapy treatment, giving them confidence to get back on their feet.
Symptoms of a Balance Disorder
The Balance Center is designed for anyone with dizziness, vertigo, difficulty judging distance, people with an increased risk of falling and anyone who has fallen once in the past year. Approximately 90 million Americans suffer from dizziness. If you or someone you know experiences dizziness or difficulty balancing, ask your doctor to schedule a balance test at Shore Medical Center. For more information, call (609) 653-3512.
What is Vestibular Therapy?
Shore physical therapists are specially trained in vestibular rehabilitation therapy (VRT), an exercise-based program designed to promote central nervous system compensation for inner ear deficits. VRT can help with a variety of vestibular problems, including Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) and the reduced inner ear function on one or both sides associated with Meniere’s Disease, Labyrinthitis and Vestibular Neuritis. Even individuals with long-term, unresolved inner ear disorders may benefit. VRT can also help people with acute or abrupt loss of vestibular function following surgery for vestibular problems.
Think you have a Balance Problem?
Take our quiz* to find out if you are a good candidate for testing or treatment.
- When you are dizzy do you feel a spinning sensation?
- Do sudden changes in position such as bending over, looking up or rolling over in bed provoke your symptoms or make them worse?
- When you are dizzy do you experience pain or pressure in your ears?
- Is your hearing significantly worse in one ear?
- Do you have double or blurred vision?
- Do you have increased sensitivity to light or sound?
- Do you experience headaches or migraines when dizzy?
- Do you experience ringing, buzzing or other sounds in your ears?
If you answered yes to one or more questions, ask your doctor about testing at the Balance Center at Shore Medical Center. For more information call (609) 653-3512.
* Quiz information is provided courtesy of Continuing Care, the Balance Center and Shore Medical Center’s partner in balance testing.