Somers Point’s highly anticipated annual festival, Bayfest, is happening on Saturday, April 29, spanning 14 blocks of Bay Avenue. As the premier sponsor of Bayfest, Shore Medical Center wants you to know the top six things you can enjoy at this year’s event:
- Free Health Screenings: Inside Shore Medical Center’s 80’ long white tent at New York Avenue you’ll be treated to an array of health screenings, kid-friendly activities, giveaways and opportunities to speak with medical experts from many disciplines. Our lab technicians and clinical educators will assess your glucose and cholesterol levels, and members of our cardiac rehab team and stroke center will assess your risk for a heart attack or stroke – and much more! To celebrate the hospital’s re-designation as a Planetree Patient-Centered Hospital this year, you’ll hear all about what sets Shore apart and have a chance to win a gift basket. St. Christopher’s Hospital for Children, Shore’s pediatric partners, will also be on hand teaching kids about burn safety and offering ambulance tours. We can’t wait to see you! (note: the Shore tent closes at 2pm)
- Food: Fifty food vendors will be out selling their delicious products, ranging from crab cakes and cannolis to empanadas and crepes. Be sure to come hungry!
- Music: Rock your heart out to Atley Moon & The Say Something Sound Machine at Medical Center Way, stroll along with the Nae Breeks Irish Pipe and Drum band, jam out to Dead Reckoning on the beach, groove to Generations at Annie Ave., and stomp up a storm with the Country Western rock band The Rhythm Wranglers at Harbor Lane & Pleasant Ave. Between walking and dancing, you’ll burn enough calories to make up for whatever deliciousness you indulge in at Bayfest!
- Children’s Activities: Want to tire out your little tikes? Then take them to the William Morrow beach where eight inflatables will be set up to keep them busy for hours. The AC Aquarium will once again bring their traveling Touch Tank, and pony rides will also be available. If your child wants to transform into Batman or a butterfly, stop at one of several face painters along the way.
- Crafters: More than 120 crafters and other vendors will be selling everything you can think of, including jewelry, housewares, children’s clothing, pet treats, and more. It’s a great day to pick out Mother’s and Father’s Day gifts, or just treat yourself!
- Free Shuttles: Don’t let parking keep you away. Bayfest offers two park-and-ride shuttle locations to the north and south ends of Bay Avenue. You’ll find them at Fire Hall #1 on Bethel Road, and at the nearby Bud Kern Field. Service is quick, and after a day of walking, shopping, eating and bouncing you deserve a rest!
Bayfest runs from 10am to 5pm. Each year, the Bayfest Committee uses proceeds from the event to fund special projects for the residents of Somers Point. Recent contributions have included the installation of new playground equipment at the public beach, the beautiful banners over the Historic Bay Avenue, improvements to our “Bud Kern Field,” and donations to the Mainland Region High School Commutation Arts Department to name a few. The committee extends a special thanks to its many volunteers who help make this event possible every year.