Shore’s Pediatric Care Center – the first of its kind in New Jersey
When your child experiences a medical emergency, it can be frightening for you and your child alike. That's why Shore Medical Center established its state-of-the-art Pediatric Care Center. Your child will be seen by pediatric specialists in a separate emergency treatment area, specially designed to make the hospital experience less scary.
- Pediatric Care Center Design
Shore’s groundbreaking Pediatric Care Center was designed to ensure your child receives the best care possible in a setting specially designed for kids.
- Pediatricians and neonatologists from Onsite available 24/7
- Board certified emergency department physicians
- Highly skilled, specially trained pediatric emergency nurses
- A sensory-friendly experience for children on the autism spectrum or with sensory processing disorders.
In addition to providing the best in medical care, Shore’s Pediatric Care Center features:
- Four state-of-the-art, specially designed and decorated treatment rooms
- Five child-centric patient rooms
- Play area complete with a large screen digital TV
- Comfortable Ronald McDonald family lounge
- Themed nurses’ station
- Sensory-Friendly Pediatric Program
At Shore, we know that a hospital visit can be scary for any child, but for children on the autism spectrum or with sensory processing disorders, it can be overwhelming - and even interfere with proper care. That’s why we are proud to offer a full sensory-friendly experience at our Pediatric Care Center to ensure your child receives the best care possible, from door to discharge. We proudly launched this program on World Autism Awareness Day, April 2, 2021.
Shore’s Pediatric Care Center staff are trained by experts from the Atlantic County Special Services School District, who helped develop the program. The unit is outfitted with a wide array of resources to help your child feel more at home, including:
- Communication tools just like those your child might use at home and school, customized to a healthcare experience.
- Footprint decals on the floor designed to help your child focus on getting from the entrance to the treatment room.
- Sensory installations such as bubble walls and sound machines to help create a calming environment.
- A cart full of sensory toys, weighted blankets and noise-canceling headphones to help distract your child during treatments (which you can take home with you).
Shore Medical Center is committed to building a long-term and trusting relationship with you and your family. We want you to know that your child will receive the proper medical care they need from experienced staff, in an environment that supports the special needs of children on the autism spectrum or with sensory disorders.
- Family-Centered Care
Shore Medical Center's pediatric care team is made up of professionals who are dedicated to caring for the unique needs of children. Parents are an essential part of our care team as well. We work with you so you can stay informed of care choices, participate in your child's plan of care and assist your child in feeling safe throughout their hospital stay.
Our nursing staff will keep you informed and include you in the decision making process. They will assess, plan, implement and evaluate all aspects of your child's care. This collaborative approach to care encourages families to follow the designated plan of care and to become educated in the all aspects of their child's condition.
Our goal is to provide high quality care in a safe and caring environment while working with you to identify and meet your family's personal and spiritual needs. We encourage your family to spend as much time as possible at your child's bedside. Our rooms provide comfort and privacy your child's stay in our Pediatric Care Center. Each room offers TV, DVD, private bathrooms and sleeping accommodations for parents.
You can rest assured that your child is in good clinical hands. All children at Shore are seen by board certified emergency physicians and specially trained emergency nurses, who will work in consultation with physicians from Onsite Neonatal Partners.
- Ronald McDonald House
Ronald McDonald House (RMH) were developed in response to RMH of Southern New Jersey's commitment to expand services to families of seriously ill and injured children.
The Shore Medical Center's RMH is located within the Pediatric Care Center and is available for use by any family member of a child admitted to the pediatric department. Our RMH offers respite for you, while only being a few doors away from your child's bedside. There is a seating area, kitchenette stocked with snacks and drinks, Internet access and a play area for siblings. The Ronald McDonald House of Southern New Jersey provides all the complementary snacks and beverages.