The surgical staff at Shore Medical Center performs nearly 6,000 inpatient, outpatient and same-day surgeries annually including laparoscopic, laser, arthroscopic and microsurgery.
Our surgeons are supported by anesthesiologists, highly-skilled nurses and technicians, and advanced technology. Shore's team of anesthesiologists uses advanced techniques and equipment to administer up-to-date general, regional and local anesthetics.
- Same Day Surgery
Shore Medical Center performs more same-day surgeries than any other area hospital. Our hospital-based SurgiCenter offers you and your family safety, convenience, privacy and peace-of-mind; with access to the full resources of the hospital should you need them.
For privacy and comfort, you and your family are provided with your own private patient area before and after surgery. A friendly personal escort guides you and your family to and from the Surgical Reception area. Types of procedures performed on a same-day basis include:
- Carpal tunnel releases
- Hernia repairs
- Hysteroscopies and D&Cs
- Myringotomy, ear tubes
- Oral surgery
- Endoscopic procedures
- Laparoscopic procedures including gall bladder surgery
- Laser procedures
- Microsurgical surgery
- Arthroscopic surgery
- Prepare for Same Day Surgery
The day of your surgery:
- Remove all jewelry and body piercings. Leave all valuables at home.
- Bring your insurance cards, co-pays and your driver's license or another valid form of identification.
- Arrive at the hospital at your predetermined time. Stop by the lobby desk where you will be escorted to the surgical area.
- You will be asked to leave your family for a brief period while the registrar and nurse review your personal health information.
- Once registered, you will be escorted to a room in which to change.
- Your family may stay with you until you are taken to the operating room.
- During your surgery, your family will wait for the doctor in the waiting room where our volunteers will keep them informed and comfortable
- Once in the recovery room, the nurses will monitor your vital signs, give you pain medications as needed to keep you comfortable and review your instructions before discharge to home.
When returning home:
- Once you have had something to drink and are dressed for home, you will be escorted by wheelchair to your ride.
- Please be sure to make arrangements to have someone at home to stay with you overnight.
- If you have any post-surgery questions, please contact your doctor.
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
Surgeons at Shore Medical Center are highly skilled in the latest techniques for surgery that do not require large incisions. These procedures enhance patient comfort and may reduce recovery time by minimizing the size of the surgical incision and the disruption of other surrounding muscle and tissue.
With advances in instrumentation, implant design and surgical technique, Shore’s physicians are focused on ways to help reduce recovery time and improve comfort after the operation.
- Computer Assisted Surgery
Continuing to set the pace in our region for providing area residents with the most up-to-date health care technology, Shore Medical Center’s board certified surgeons use the StealthNavigatorTM Program for computer-assisted surgical (CAS) procedures. Computer-assisted surgery has revolutionized traditional surgical techniques by allowing surgeons to navigate through the body using computer-generated three-dimensional images.
The StealthNavigator enables surgeons to look inside a patient and see everything in precise, 3D detail — a lobe of the brain, the twisting passageway of nasal cavities, the structure of a vertebra. Computer-assisted surgical procedures can be substantially less invasive, target a precise area and avoid healthy tissue, as well as allow for smaller incisions and less tissue dissection, which translates into speedier recoveries and better results for our patients.
Shore Medical Center's team of Board Certified Physicians and Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists (CRNA) provide superior anesthesia care to a wide variety of patients.
From initial evaluation to post-recovery follow-up, our anesthesia team utilizes state of the art equipment and techniques to implement a care plan personalized to your specific needs.