Families, Expertise and Technology
Shore's Maternity Care Center takes pride in our unique ability to combine family centered care with clinical expertise and advanced technology. Our highly skilled nurses use bedside computer documentation, allowing more time to care for you and your family. We teach, nurture and grow our families with care, compassion and the most current evidence-based nursing practices.
Our Unique Approach
The staff of the Maternity Care Center encourage and support family members to spend as much time as possible with their babies in an environment of loving respect. Our Maternity Care Center is a place where new parents and their family members will have the opportunity to receive current information and personalized instruction on how to care for themselves and their newborn babies.
- The Baby Box Program
Shore Medical Center is pleased to partner with the Southern New Jersey Perinatal Cooperative to provide new parents with a Baby Box. The Baby Box is a cardboard box with a mattress at the bottom that when used without blankets, pillows or toys will provide the infant with a safe place to sleep. The boxes are small, sturdy and portable and can be placed on the floor next to the parents' bed.
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that an infant should sleep in the parents' room in its first year of life, and in its own separate space. The Baby Box meets safety standards and serves the same purpose as a bassinet, which is recommended in the first few months of life, but is completely free of charge. It also includes other items like diapers, breastfeeding accessories and educational materials to give a baby its best start in life.
How to Get a Baby Box
To receive a Baby Box, register at www.babyboxuniversity.com, complete the New Jersey Curricula and print your certificate. Then, call Brenda Braun, Shore clinical educator for maternity and pediatrics, at 609-653-3752 or email email@example.com. Boxes can be picked up 24 hours a day. To view step-by-step instructions on how to receive your certificate, click here.
- Shore Medical Center - A Safe Haven
The safety and well being of every child and mother is the greatest concern of the Maternity team at Shore Medical Center. We are proud to be a Safe Haven hospital which provides distressed parents who are unable to care for an infant a safe, legal and anonymous option to give up custody of a baby who is less than 30 days old without fear of prosecution. The purpose of the Safe Haven act is to protect unwanted babies from being hurt or killed from unsafe abandonment. To find out more about the State of New Jersey's Save Haven Infant Protect act click here.
- Delivering Babies, Birthing a Family
The Shore Maternity Center team is committed to giving you and your family the education, resources and confidence to care for your new baby. With the help of a dedicated nurse to care for both you and your baby, our family-centered approach to care will help you bond with your new family member in the comfort, security and privacy of your room.
Bathing, weighing and newborn assessments by nurses are done in your room to provide you the opportunity to ask questions and learn more about caring for your baby.
Family Centered Care
- Supports the physical, emotional and social well-being of the new family members
- Allows you to be present for all the special moments with your new baby
- Babies cry less
- Mothers sleep better knowing their baby is right by their side
- Breastfeeding is more likely to be successful
- Increased security
- Promotes a closer relationship with your nurse, because she is spending more time taking care of you and your baby
Bella Baby Photography
Shore Medical Center is proud to partner with Bella Baby Photography to offer parents the opportunity to capture their baby’s first photographs in a professional, artistic style that can easily be shared with family and friends.
About Bella Baby Photography
Sessions Bella Baby brings professional photographers to the hospital to capture your first moments with your baby in the comfort of your hospital room.
Photos are posted to a password protected, online slide show for you to view shortly after the photo shoot. Online viewing and ordering is available to those with whom you choose to share your password. Moms can order birth announcements or popular packages the same day or wait until they get home.
Download our What to Expect from Your Photo shoot guide and visit www.bellababyphotography.com for more information.
- Tours, Classes, & Other Resources
If you're expecting a baby or thinking of starting a family, we encourage you to take a free tour of the Shore Maternity Care Center.
When touring our facility, we currently have two options to suit your needs.
- General Tour - If you're expecting a baby or thinking of starting a family, we invite you to take a tour of Shore’s Maternity Care Center. Come see for yourself the beautiful surroundings and meet our staff. Tours are usually held on Thursday afternoons anytime between 3-5pm.
Call 609-653-3684 to schedule a tour today.
Shore Beginnings: Prenatal and Wellness
Shore Medical Center's Family Life Services is staffed by registered nurses trained to educate and support families as you prepare for your birth experience.
At Shore, we pride ourselves in catering to the various needs of our mothers and babies. For this reason, we are excited to introduce Shore Beginnings: Prenatal and Wellness. With these services and more, we are excited to bring to you the most current and evidence-based information in childbirth and breastfeeding education.
- Lamaze Childbirth Classes - Shore Beginnings offers Lamaze classes by trained Lamaze instructors of Lamaze International. Lamaze promotes a natural, healthy and safe approach to pregnancy, childbirth and early parenting and will help you make informed decisions before, during, and after your childbirth experience.
- Breastfeeding your Baby - Learn about the importance of breastfeeding for both you and your baby and practice some techniques to prepare you to get breastfeeding off to a great start. You will meet Shore’s Lactation Consultants and leave feeling comfortable and confident in learning to breastfeed.
- Breastfeeding Support Group – Meet with our lactation consultants and other breastfeeding mothers to bond over the joys, hurdles, and great rewards of breastfeeding. Listen to other mothers, share stories of your own, and/or receive advice from our counselors in a comfortable and casual atmosphere.
- Private Breastfeeding Consultations – Are you having trouble with breastfeeding or just have a question you need answered? Please feel free to contact our lactation department directly for a consultation held in our private lactation office. Phone consultations also available.
Private lactation consultations can be made by calling our lactation consultants directly:
- Kristen A. Rossi, MSEd, IBCLC, ALC, LCCE – 609-653-3500 x2589
- Lauren R. Matalucci, BA, IBCLC, ALC, CLC – 609-653-3500 x2860
For more information or to register for a class, support group, or tour of the unit, call Shore Beginnings at 609-653-3238.
Meet the Staff of Shore Beginnings:
Prenatal and Wellness
Kristen A. Rossi, MSED, IBCLC, CLC, LCCE – Kristen, who has a Master’s of Science Degree in Education, is an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC). Also being the only Lamaze Certified Childbirth Educator in all of Southern New Jersey, Kristen is one of the childbirth educators for our program designed around Lamaze International, in addition to the coordinator for breastfeeding education at Shore.
Lauren Matalucci, BA, IBCLC, ALC, CLC – Lauren, who has a Bachelor’s Degree with a specialization in public relations, is a Certified Lactation Counselor and Advanced Lactation Consultant, accredited by the Academy of Lactation Policy and Practice. Trained in Lamaze, Lauren is one of the childbirth and breastfeeding educators for our program and is also one the RTS Bereavement Coordinators for Shore, in addition to being a Clinical Informatics Analyst for Maternal Child Health.
Kristen and Lauren are both mothers themselves, who have experienced the joys, difficulties, and great rewards of breastfeeding firsthand. They are committed to providing you with all current and evidence based information, supporting you beyond your hospital stay and throughout your breastfeeding journey, and strive to help you meet your personal breastfeeding goals one step at a time.